.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Brian McLaren on Homosexuality

There's a painful discussion going on at Out of Ur these past few days. It is important and honest--that's where the pain comes in. I think pretty much all truth comes from pain.

So much of my faith gets sidetracked in wanting comfort. I want a nice house. I want a happy family. But God didn't come here for comfort. He came here for sacrifice.

Last night I was reading with my daughter. She has a little picture Bible that we read some evenings. (I admit Narnia takes precendence. I do love a good story over a sermon.) Last night was the feeding of the 5000. One discussion question asked what we can give to others around us.

I asked CJ if she would give her lunch to a friend at school. She didn't like that idea.

"You mean take an extra lunch for them?" she asked.

"No," I said. "Imagine they forgot their lunch. Would you give up your lunch so they could have it?"

She thought for a minute. "But what would I eat?" she asked finally.

"Nothing," I said. "You would skip lunch so your friend could eat."

"I think I'd rather give them something else," she decided.

That's when I preached a bit. The most valuable gifts depend on sacrifice, I told her. It sounds good. Maybe someday I'll be able to live out the life I preach to my daughter.

God willing.

Take a look at Out of Ur this week. But be warned that it is painful no matter which side of the debate you favor.

Comments:
Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?