.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 16, 2006

 

About Ruth and Boaz

So "The Best Kind of Morning" is based on the story of Ruth and Boaz. Forgive my flubbing details about farmwork. I have never worked on a farm. Nor do I know any farmers.

The climax of the story is based on Ruth 3:7-14.

According to some of the commentaries I read, I have taken some liberties by making the scene sensual. Nelson in particular claimed there was nothing sensual about what Ruth did. It was tradition for the time.

Why did she leave before anyone would notice? Why did he tell his workers not to say anything?

Nelson claims Boaz knows her actions could have been misinterpreted. Hmmm. But it was tradition at the time for her to do this since he was next of kin? Hmmm. Sounds like Christians afraid of sensuality to me.

Especially since the same commentaries comment on Isaiah 6. The winged creatures cover their faces and their feet with their wings. They aren't really covering their feet, the commentaries point out. "Feet" in Jewish literature was a euphemism for guess what? genitalia.

Remember what Ruth uncovered? Boaz's feet. Hmmm. She slept at his feet all night, in fact. Hmmm.

I'm sure Nelson Commentaries are right. I'm just a sicko.

Comments:
Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?