.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 

Things That Impacted Me

Here is my editor's gripe. I don't like the word "impacted."

Check out the third definition. The word means constipated, OK? If I'm impacted by a fancy dinner with a prospective writer, that doesn't mean I have wonderful memories. It means I'm going to be sitting on the john reading Rolling Stone for a very long time.

I know, this is not fair. The word has two other definitions, but in my mind they get trumped by visions of constipation.

Consider this book. Executive Influence: Impacting Your Workplace for Christ. Now I'm sure this book has some wonderful truths for a reader. But I don't want to cause anyone to be constipated for Christ. That just doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Whether you think I'm full of it or not, you have to admit that Christians and businesspeople are impacted much too often. Everything about church impacts people. Every new business method promises to impact the bottomline. Just use a different word, people. Don't talk about being impacted when you really mean transformed.

I'd much rather be transformed than impacted. To be transformed reminds me of Ovid's Metamorphosis. It reminds me of spiritual renewal and baptism and butterflies.

Next week's word to hate: Plethora.

Comments:
Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?