.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

Editors are Gleaners

A little prose poetry for today.


The Gleaners

“Where did you glean today? Where did you work?
Blessed be the man who took notice of you!”
Ruth 2:19

The sky turns darker than we expect in the hill country. Each evening in fall, clouds trickle over the hills and promise to hide the stars again. Tonight, my daughter swings after dinner and the wind and her movement blows her hair forward and back, forward and back, sometimes taking her words away from me. So I have to ask, “What did you say, honey?”

And she leans nearly upside down in the swing, smiling, her eyes like stars.

“I’m glad we moved to the pretty place.”

The money wasn’t as much as we’d hoped for, but the world doesn’t seem to value words like it once did. Or maybe it never did. Mark Twain died broke, I hear. As did Poe and Melville and Dickinson. Socrates wrote dialogues and took hemlock. Jeremiah wrote Lamentations and wept. Moses finished the Law, but never finished his journey to the Promised Land.

“You like it here, then?” I ask my daughter in the swing.

“You really really really wanted this job, daddy.”

“I did,” I say.

“And now you can teach people about God.”

She is four but still prefers me to push her; my hands on her back send her higher to the sky.

“No wishes tonight,” I say looking at the clouds.

“Silly daddy, we don’t really have to see the stars to wish.”

(Read more about Jean-Francois Millet's painting here.)

HillCountryWriter Category: Poetry Publishing
Technorati Tags:

Comments:
Oh, the wisdom of that child...

how lovely that you can be with her under the cloudy skies.
 
In fact, we were under rainy skies yesterday.

And yep, my daughter is some kind of brilliant. We love her so much.
 

Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?