.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

 

About the Decision to Post an Entire Book Online

So I have this book. I've been working on it for five years. Back then I made a vow to write a book in five years. I met Tim O'Brien in Austin and heard him speak. He said he tried to allow himself five years for each book. It was best not to rush things, he said.

I thought, "Heck, I can write a book in five years!"

I wrote the first draft in just a few months actually. But I have completely rewritten the book several times over the course of several years. (I'm currently on Goodyear Book version 4.0, in case you are wondering.) Early versions were scary.

This one is pretty polished, but still problematic for publishers. As one Christian agent put it, "I wouldn't want my teenage daughter reading your book." Ouch. Pull the dagger out of my heart. If you can believe it, she didn't mean to be quite so insulting and has now sent the book to interested editors at NavPress and Tyndale. Believe me, if they contact me, this puppy will disappear from the web never to be seen again.

I am working on other projects now, but it seemed sad that this book had never seen an audience. You know, maybe it stinks. Maybe it doesn't deserve an audience. But I think it is mostly just too quirky for presses to take a risk on a new author.

If it stinks, please, let me know.

If you like it, let me know that too.

Above all, thanks for reading anything at all. What a gift you give me just by listening.

Comments:
Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?