.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 01, 2006

 

Flesh Eater - a new poem

Crackers snap against brass plates and scatter
crumbs across paper doilies while we meditate.
Dan, my preacher uncle, believes in water
like his Dunker grandpa, demanding holy baths
to seek God’s face and favor. Catholic Dan,
my friend, once explained transubstantiation.
I wish I could believe this
communion mush mixed with my spit transforms
to flesh in my throat. God's power could turn
symbol into fact, surely, but his Word
spreads fire hotter than literal truth.
Burning symbols leave bushes whole,
green and fragrant with Spring. Why
do I want the bush to burn? Why
do I want God’s power to leave ash
in the land and a scar on my heart?

Some verses I was thinking about when I wrote the poem.

John 6:53
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."
John 3:5
Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."
John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
John 18:37-8
"You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." "What is truth?" Pilate asked.

A note on this poem for Dan Goodyear and Dan Roloff. I love you guys, and I hope it is okay that I used you as symbols in my poem. I'm not trying to critique your specific beliefs here. I'm just thinking about my own. One thing I know for sure, God's grace is big enough for all who call on the name of Jesus as their savior. And I like that you are both named after the eldest son of Israel. It seemed important somehow.

Comments:
I like the end... why do we want the bush to burn, and so forth. Yes, why... any thoughts?
 
Matt, you should know me better than that. I'd be a vegetarian except I like meat too much.

To my credit I have tried a vegan diet for 40 days. It wasn't bad, but it was very expensive.

And I don't know that I could do it with two kids. They'd probably end up living on Mac and Cheese--hardly vegan fare.

You've made me think about the eucharist in quite a different way, though. If a person is vegetarian--or vegan--how does that life style alter their impression of communion, if at all?

And, Matt, it's always good to hear from you!
 
I don't know why, but I never liked the idea of God going past my teeth and swallowing. I do, however, like the idea of digesting Him and Him going out to all parts of me. Sometimes I just need that.

Blog Tipping. Cool idea. For some reason, I never heard about this until now.

Also, if by chance you see two of these comments, similar...Blogger ate my first run at this and then regurgitated.
 
Thanks Cynthia. I always enjoy reading your poetry. It's good to hear from you.
 

Post a Comment | Add to del.icio.us | << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?